The Foundation for Shamanic Studies ASIA
“Shamanism is a path of knowledge, not of faith, and that knowledge cannot come from me or anyone else in this reality. To acquire that knowledge, including the knowledge of the reality of the spirits, it is necessary to step through the shaman’s doorway and acquire empirical evidence.”
Michael Harner, Ph.D., FSS founder, and author of The Way of the Shaman
Core Shamanism is the universal or near-universal principles and practices of shamanism not bound to any specific cultural group or perspective, as originated, researched, and developed by Michael Harner. Since the modern world overwhelmingly lost its shamanic knowledge centuries ago due to religious and political oppression, the programs in Core Shamanism from The Foundation for Shamanic Studies (FSS) are particularly intended for modern persons to reacquire access to their rightful spiritual heritage through quality workshops and training courses. Training in core shamanism includes teaching students to alter their consciousness through classic shamanic non-drug techniques such as repetitive drumming so that they can discover their own hidden spiritual resources, transform their lives, and learn how to help others.
The Way of the Shaman: Shamanic Journeying, Power, and Healing
The Basic Workshop in Core Shamanism
During the Basic experiential workshop, participants are introduced to core shamanism, the universal and near-universal basic methods of the shaman to enter non-ordinary reality for problem solving and healing. Particular emphasis is on the classic shamanic journey, one of the most remarkable visionary methods used by humankind to explore the hidden universe otherwise known mainly through myth and dream. Participants are initiated into shamanic journeying, aided by drumming and other techniques for experiencing the shamanic state of consciousness and for awakening dormant spiritual abilities, including connections with Nature. Practice includes comparisons by participants of their discoveries in shamanic journeys as well as being introduced to shamanic divination and healing. They are also provided with methods for journeying to meet and study with their own individual spirit helpers in non-ordinary reality, a classic step in shamanic practice. Participants learn how the journey is utilized to restore spiritual power and health, and how shamanism can be applied in contemporary daily life to help heal oneself, others, and the Planet. Two days, usually 9:30am-6:00pm.
The Way of the Shaman basic course: Comments from participants
- The course was everything I hoped it would be. I look forward to practicing what I’ve learned, and I feel I received a lot. Kevin’s approach was great. He made us all feel confident as we undertook the journeys. He’s humble yet very knowledgeable, and offers a gentle but sure atmosphere. I look forward to advanced courses soon.
- Eye-opening, super-effective, and gave me confidence and trust. Kevin’s explanations made me feel that it was easy to access the Upper and Lower Worlds, and it was! I’m definitely registering for advanced courses.
- I was amazed at how easy it was to enter the Lower and Upper Worlds. Kevin is full of humor and patience. His explanations were thorough and with examples pulled from a wide variety of spiritual disciplines.
- Wonderful – new levels of experience came one after the other.
- Nice flow overall, and good balance of theory and practice. We got right into the work!
- I made connections to worlds I hadn’t known before. I could relax and have fun.
- Kevin’s answers to questions were not just replies but rather full of rich clues to understand the nature of shamanism more deeply. I look forward to applying these principles in my life.
- A great workshop. Kevin displays a deep knowledge of the Spirits. I look forward to learning more in advanced workshops.
- Kevin’s explanations were clear, comprehensive, easy to understand and supported by his own rich experience. I feel he’s a wonderful person in both knowledge and humanity.
- To know the existence of the Upper and Lower Worlds alleviates much of the distress here in the Middle World. I feel much lighter. Fascinating talks – I now feel like I’ve read several books on shamanism as a result of this course.
- Learning and practicing shamanism in a shrine is the best of all locations – it had an immense effect on me.
- Kevin’s maintained a very high quality of course material throughout the duration of the two days – I felt his sincerity.
- The many practical exercises were fun, exciting, easy to learn and understand.
- A very substantial course. Everything worked beautifully. The practices and explanations were profound.
- The course was an amazing experience for me – my first time to experience the Lower and Upper Worlds!
- Kevin knows his material thoroughly, and his sense of humor helps us all relax and feel comfortable.
- Learning to have experiences of my own has been just essential and this workshop succeeds in offering participants their own experiences.
- I felt a wonderful unity in the group, and the shrine in which the course is held is a very holy place.
- Informative, precise, with lots of laughter and stories to explain the principles. I believe this course is the best way shamanism can be offered.
- Enlightening – a good mix of theory and practical exercises. The light-hearted approach worked well.
- I feel inspired and want to study shamanism more! Exciting, interesting. Kevin was just great, and the shrine was the ideal place to practice.
- Learning the essence of shamanism at such a low price is amazing! “Core Shamanism” is just great – it bypasses the ritualistic and religious baggage.
- I now have an overall understanding of shamanism, and what can be achieved with these techniques.
- Kevin is very knowledgeable and makes challenging concepts easy to understand. Very enjoyable.
- Kevin has a very thorough knowledge of his subject, and I feel fortunate to have had him as my instructor. I look forward to advanced courses with him soon.
Suggested reading: Books by Michael Harner
Advanced Courses from The Foundation for Shamanic Studies (FSS)
Shamanic Extraction Healing Training
Participants are initiated into the extraction method of healing, including how to see, sense, and remove localized illness and pain connected to spiritual factors. This is an important part of shamanic healing training. They will also learn how shamanic practitioners can work in partnership to increase the effectiveness of this work. The Extraction Healing Training workshop is designed exclusively for people who want to bring shamanic healing work into their practice with others. The training is not designed for people looking for personal healing.
Shamanism, Dying, and Beyondc
Participants learn how to explore dying and the destiny of souls from a shamanic perspective. The workshop is both for those who wish to learn for themselves, and for those who wish to help others who are in terminal situations or who have already passed on. Experiences to be undertaken include learning how to become experientially familiar with the after-death realms, tracking a person using shamanic journeying, completing unfinished business, helping a person to cross over (classic psychopomp work).
Power Soul Retrieval Training NEW!
Soul Retrieval is one of the most powerful shamanic healing practices. It aims to return portions of the soul that may have moved away from us as a result of trauma or any situation in which we were unprepared to feel the associated emotions. Shamans believe that soul loss is a common source of illness, depression, and chronic fatigue, as well as a variety of mental and emotional disorders. In this advanced course, we will learn how to find and retrieve these portions for clients in a healing session. **Extraction Healing and the Shamanism, Dying and Beyond advanced courses are prerequisite for this course.
In this unique experiential workshop you will have the opportunity to explore the nature, meaning, and use of dreams among shamanic peoples, with dreamwork practices from a range of cultures. Researched and developed by Michael Harner, subjects to be covered include shamanic dream theory and big dreams, as well as dreams and the soul, spirits, shamanic journeys, the Dreamtime, and the vision quest. You will have the opportunity to apply the knowledge to contemporary life, including the use of dreams in divination, health, and healing.
Shamanic Divination Training
One of the classic tasks of the shaman is to journey into non-ordinary reality in order to obtain answers to questions, both at the request of others and for oneself. Participants in the workshop have the opportunity to engage in divination journeys for each other as well as for themselves and to gain experience in using various time-tested shamanic divination techniques. In the shamanic search to become persons of knowledge, they learn, as shamans have from time immemorial, how to converse with plant and animal spirits, how to learn about the use of quartz crystals, and how to seek and receive revelatory knowledge from visionary sources.
Shamanism & the Spirits of Nature
From ancient times, shamans have worked with the spirits of nature for healing, survival, and knowledge. By learning from the plants and animals, from the rocks and mountains, from the winds and waters, and from the sun, moon, and stars, shamans helped their peoples live in harmony with the universe. In a world now out of balance, the way of the shaman can teach how again to respect nature, our Planet, and its inhabitants at a deep spiritual level. As our ancestors everywhere once knew, our survival depends on the survival of the other species. By working together intensively through shamanic journeys and other spiritual experiences, we will dedicate ourselves to working in both non-ordinary and ordinary reality to restore and maintain a living Planet.
Shamanic Training in Creativity
Creativity is so ancient that it is at once fundamental and complex, even a driving force in our lives. Shamanism brings a fresh approach to Westerners for cultivating their creative potential. In this workshop, based on years of research, participants will have the opportunity to enhance their creativity through the practice of shamanic methods. Selected historical and anthropological examples will illustrate connections between shamanism and creative abilities, and a variety of specific shamanic exercises will be taught that participants can apply to their personal lives. (Article: “Shamanism and Creativity” by Sandra Harner.)
Kevin’s biography can be seen here: www.shamanism.org/fssinfo/turnerbio.html
About The Foundation for Shamanic Studies (FSS)
The Foundation for Shamanic Studies is dedicated to the preservation, study, and teaching of shamanic knowledge for the welfare of the Planet and its inhabitants.
“What Yogananda did for Hinduism and D.T. Suzuki did for Zen, Michael Harner has done for shamanism, namely bring the tradition and its richness to Western awareness,” say Roger Walsh and Charles S. Grob, in their book, Higher Wisdom. “Michael Harner is widely acknowledged as the world’s foremost authority on shamanism and has had an enormous influence on both the academic and lay worlds.”
Started in 1979, the Foundation for Shamanic Studies presents the world’s foremost training programs in shamanism and shamanic healing. They are based on the pioneering work of anthropologist Michael Harner, who brought shamanism to contemporary life in the West after extensive field and cross-cultural investigation, experimentation, and personal practice. He originated, researched, and developed core shamanism, a system designed for modern persons to apply shamanism and shamanic healing successfully to their daily lives. This system is based upon the underlying shamanic principles and practices, rather than upon culture-specific variations and elaborations. Core shamanism does not focus on ceremonies, such as those of Native Americans, which are part of the work of medicine men and women, persons who do both shamanism and ceremonial work.
When invited by indigenous peoples who have largely lost their shamanic knowledge, the Foundation may send a team to help them establish firsthand shamanic contact with their own spirits and learn from them. With this work done in short time, the team leaves. The Foundation has done this by invitation in various parts of the world, including the Arctic of Eurasia and Canada, and in central Asia.
Where the survival of indigenous shamanism is threatened by outside forces such as religious and political persecution, the Foundation may designate elderly shamans as Living Treasures of Shamanism and provide lifetime stipends to help them pass their precious knowledge on to their peoples.
An Interview with Dr. Michael Harner
For more information about the Foundation in English: www.shamanism.org
Journeying CD available from FSS
19 Jun 2009 admin